Wednesday, December 29, 2021

New Poem - Old Problem

 

Bullying, harassment, threatening behaviors definitely do occur in the Tribe of Nursing. There were numerous times over the years where I experienced bullying and/or harassment. Most of those times I blatantly ignored it and went on my way. My method to deal with it was to become better qualified and more valuable, such that I received a more favorable status. 

Now, I can put up with harassment about three times and then, I fight back. The event described in the poem below did result in a conference with my Nurse Manager and Charge-nurse regarding my outburst of aberrant behavior. Fortunately, my nurse adversary was just acting the way she frequently did with other persons. I was the catalyst for her soon-to-be, future departure.

I was better than some
No worse than others
Perhaps the same as a mythical creature,
All the tools that I owned
I brought to the table,
Some complained about a singular feature,
I might propose, a better solution
And offer it up with a question,
Apparently that ruffled 
A couple chicks feathers
Upsetting their delicate digestion.

After absorbing a singular attack
From a colleague at work one night,
I silently decided enough is enough
The next time I will openly fight,
And sure as sure in a couple more weeks 
During night-to-dayshift-report,
Bianca the weirdo demanded details unneeded
I exploded like a gun at the fort.

I slammed the chart on the table
‘Twas like a gunshot in a crowded mall,
All heads turned in our direction
As if waiting for the bodies to fall,
And fall they did, when I demanded 
"Bianca, just take my report",
I felt a silent collective agreement
Bianca’s harassment did abruptly abort.




No comments: