Thursday, December 23, 2021

Crazy Function

 

I graduated Nursing school in 1983 and immediately began working on Cardiac Care units and within a year I was working in all manner of ICU's. My interest in heart rhythm's began before Nursing school, during my career as a Respiratory Therapist, when I took a semester class for basic EKG in Fall of 1978 (Pierce College in Los Angeles). As a novice RT working in the Cardiac Surgery ICU, I figured I better be able to read a Heart Monitor while I was screwing around with the ventilators. 

Anyway, my fascination with EKG rhythm's goes a long ways back and with my current historical review of writings I am getting reacquainted with quite a number of cardiac poems I forgot about.

Crazy Function   (1992)

I have some crazy function
Down in my AV Junction,
The impulse is forgotten
Because the path is getting rotten,
At last a beat gets through
I’m unsure, what it will do,
Aberrancy or retrograde
If refractory, it just might fade,
Back into covert hiding
Until my AV-Node is more abiding.








No comments: