Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Questionable Emotions


Just like the poem X-Tensive and Zanzibar, just below this one, I discovered I had not written a Q poem. I am astounded, that in 40 years of healthcare related poems,  somehow I missed on Q, X & Z. 
Well Q had an answer to that.

All of us bedside nurses know about patients who don't communicate their needs well, but by golly, they sure know how to express emotions. Unfortunately, that does not guarantee we understand what the heck they are so excited about.

Questionable Emotions


Quietly suffering
The stoic fellow,
The gruff and manly
Everything a bellow,
Whimper or cry
At the drop of a hat,
Or the expressionless
Psychologically flat.

Trying to analyze the meaning
With or without words,
Is akin to interrogating
Exotic birds,
Unfamiliar, without context
Like pain, potty or position,
Grasping for meaning
Before I call the physician.




No comments: