Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The mores and the social interactions of society are reflected in the hospital as well. For the most part male patient's would usually be quite comfortable with either a male or female nurse, but the reverse was not so. More often than not, the female patient, feels most comfortable with a female nurse. As a result of this, quite often where I worked there might be some trade-off of nursing tasks, to accomodate that male-female thing. And some times there would be other tasks entirely. One of my frequent co-workers had a difficult time with patient's that had a vomit episode. It struck a sensitive nerve in her, and prompted a similar outcome. Her frequent statement was, "I don't do vomit". So, in effect, this might be a tradeable task or favor, if you will.
And thus was born, "It Smells Like Roses".

It Smells Like Roses

Do you feel like throwing up?
If you do, then really shove it,
When vomit flies across the room
Oh man, I really love it,
Some people say the smell
Is so gross, they plug their noses,
But frankly, I'll be honest
To me it smells like roses,
I keep a little vial
Of that stuff, inside my purse,
It's another special reason
Why I became a nurse.

Fibril_late; 3/94

No comments: