Thursday, March 05, 2020

Crazy Milkshake


In the course of looking through archives of prior writings, I found a couple poems from 1985 that had not caught up to the collection. Folks, that's a long time ago, but still, 7 years into my healthcare career I was already battered. As a result, something triggered one of those visceral memories of crazy nonsense and I immediately wrote the following: (Actually, I loved working Recovery, but still.......)

You are driving me crazy
And it's all your fault,
First, you asked for a milkshake
Then complained, it wasn't a malt,
You preferred low-sodium crackers
Then said, they weren't very salty,
Now, I'm beginning to think
Your cognition is faulty. 

For a while I could accommodate
The forgetting and confusion,
After all, you were totally doped up
But now it's a forgone conclusion,
That you are a user of something
Unlisted on your preop discovery,
Totally skewing our assessment
During procedural recovery.

Well, as I mentioned once before
Ones real self is exposed at this time,
When your barriers are drugged
Showing the hidden-under slime,
That slithers beneath the surface
Of your facade of normality,
Now all I have to figure out
Is how to prevent a fatality.

Other nurses like me 
Were injured by folks like you,
Your little monsters inside
That were hidden from view,
By a cheerful outward countenance
"Oh honey, he wouldn't hurt a fly",
Except when he kicked my into the wall
I had a concussion.............might I die?


No comments: