Thursday, November 09, 2017

Old Fool


The song remains the same. We three nurses, over the period of 11 hours, did recoveries on 2 Interventional Radiology patients; 5 Arrhythmia ablations and 2 pacemakers, where each one of those seven had some version of General Anesthesia; and 6 Cardiac Caths with PCI. Plus, we assumed coverage of 3 other patients who had not yet gone to their procedures. I pulled 4 four Femoral sheaths on one person, had to deal with bleeding groins on two others, had to transport with 5 patient's. The other two nurses did about the same. But heck, I'm just an old fool.

Well, I'm an old fool
I keep coming back,
Like a rusty old truck
On a beaten down track,
Where every hole and rut
Is a forgone conclusion,
After a 12 hour beating
I need a tonic infusion.

Today, for example
No vacancies in the Inn,
The Cath-Lab was stacked
And 6 ablations were a sin,
Because we bore the brunt
Recovering twenty,
With two point five nurses
That's double-down plenty.

One point five hours
Of double time pay,
Makes 13 plus hours
All work and no play,
I walked 13,000 steps
Which is more than enough.
But I'm an old fool
Pretty rusty, but tough.

[dedicated to another Old Fool]

1 comment:

Oldfoolrn said...

Thanks and welcome to the club! I have great respect for all the old fools of the world except perhaps myself.