Monday, September 13, 2021

Bloated Belly Bleeder


I was in close proximity to bleeding throughout my critical-care experience. My hospital dreams are commonly associated with that. This poem relates to an incident I faced when I was moonlighting at a local hospital ICU.


Bloated, a balloon-like belly
A premonition for disaster,
I called the Doc for an NG-tube
As quick as I could, only faster,
To avoid an explosion of gastric contents
Who knows what's contained in that cavity?
But I guarantee one-hundred percent
Whatever it is will meet gravity.


I place the tube in mild warm water
Then coat it with Surgi-lube slime,
I favor the stuff with Lidocaine
But Doctors don't order it all of the time,
Because some folks might be allergic
And develop carboxyhemoglobinemia,
And take it from me, old friend
That is way worse than hypoglycemia.


Call it bad luck or just my fate
The dude has a G.I. bleeder,
Blood clots just clogged up that tube
And when he vomits it smells unlike cedar,
In fact any of you working Internal medicine
Know what I'm talking about,
Blood erupting from Billy Bob's belly
Is best avoidable, there is no doubt.


No comments: