Monday, March 25, 2019

The Monkey's Paw


At a number of hospitals (over the years), I encountered situations where it seemed like some kind of patient disaster, was bound to happen, just around the corner. My take on it, is that the hospital corporate structure, was more focused on public perception, image, branding, and so on, and not taking the time to be focused on best practices, inside the building. 

Anyway, maybe I'm totally off course..............but give it some thought.


Don’t Ask Why

Without the usual
Irritating factors,
Overloaded circuits
And persnickety actors,
My poetic Muse
Has been unusually silent,
I have not been provoked
Nor caused to be violent.

I visited my pals
Last Thursday night,
It was an easy-going interlude
Not the usual fright,
But the stories they told
Occurring after my exit,
My Gawd it sounded horrible
Way worse than Brexit.

I wonder:
Does anyone care
About sentinel events,
When disasters are lurking
Near the picket fence?
This is like the King’s fresh clothing
Every single day,
It looks good on the surface
But there is Hell to pay.

When one is dealing with sick people
Sometimes they die,
Intervening on 3-vessel disease
We might not ask why,
Sure, we’ll do a risk analysis
As is required, by the law,
Then move on to lunch
Down at The Monkey’s Paw*.

I recommend, that if you haven't read The Monkey’s Paw, a famous little horror story published in 1902, ( you should read it)
authored by W.W. Jacobs. 

No comments: