Sunday, December 30, 2018

Career Synopsis


Forty years went something like this:

Oh, what a relief
That last day became,
It was time to step back
From the working game,
After forty years
Of a healthcare endeavor,
Starting in ‘78
When I pulled the lucky lever.

Tired of getting laid off
Then signing in at Unemployment,
I took occasional benefits
Without much enjoyment,
As I searched for a solution
And found a Medical Career school,
It wasn’t free
But it was a workable tool.

I became a Respiratory Therapist
Working five years,
A couple guys inspired me
To conquer my fears,
Moving on to Nursing school
It’ll be a cinch, they said,
Despite working full time
And rarely sleeping in a bed.

I thought I would work E.R.
Or probably ICU,
I majored in Cardiac
With a medical view,
And in that first year
Obtained certification,
To play ICU nurse
At almost anybody’s station.

That’s the road I chose
The knowledge I pursued,
My focus on heart disease
With an occasional interlude,
Worked in clinical Ophthalmology
And Neuro ICU,
A Pulmonary Lab stint
And Legal Consultant too.

I sought variety
I worked all over the city,
Major medical centers
And little itty-bitty,
Hospitals, with maybe
Twenty to forty clients,
With a four bed ICU
Employing rocket science.

That stuff is what made me
The nurse that I am,
Life and death situations
Like cases of Spam,
Still the bulk of my study
Has been Cardiology,
Though sometimes I think
I had a minor in ghostology.


2 comments:

Oldfoolrn said...

Congratulations on a lengthy career. Cardio was too rough for me even though about the only drugs we had were dig., epinephrine, and lidocaine. I guess that's how I got settled in working in the OR. Whenever a surgeon bellowed something to me about one of my rare slip-ups, my stock reply was, "I never said I was smart." That seemed to mollify them every time.

Fibril_late said...

Sounds about right. I see a lot of new upcoming nurses who are so uptight, worrying over all kinds of silly details. All they need to do, is figure out who is the smartest, fair person to be a mentor.............and then jump in like a volunteer, and grab the experience.