Thursday, November 15, 2018

Retirement Security


If you have read anything I have posted over the past 10 years, you know I find bureaucracy to be a total mind-melter. Well, proof of this, is how difficult it is, to actually arrange to stop working and begin receiving any kind of future benefits. I almost wish I was an illegal, and then I could get some hot looking young social conscious do-gooder to help me navigate this quagmire of nonsense.
But instead, I am just an over-educated, short tempered, sarcastic retiring Nurse...........

Unplanned

Social Security office
Makes retirement look hard,
It might look like an inch
But it's really a yard,
To jump through the hoops
Without blowing your top,
I thought working was tough
But it's harder to stop.

Folks there were seeking
Their first SS Card,
Others getting payments going
So they can sit in their yard,
Watching the world go by
As they allocate each nickel,
Wondering why they didn't save
'Cuz now, they're in a pickle.

Grandma Moses
Had a five year old, for show,
She talked to him like he was two
In baby-talk, you know,
Telling him something about school
Study hard, and get a job,
But did she even bring a book for him?
Not a chance; the lazy slob.

In fact, no one had a book
Not even me,
Although I read my journal abstracts
On Medscape, for free,
Thus I know a lot more stuff
About cardiac innovations,
A new pacemaker, for the neonate
For those rhythm aberrations.

Does it really seem
That I am ready to retire?
No, it doesn't feel that way
My mind is still on fire,
To learn the most I want
In the time I still command,
Life will show me what to do;
The guy that never planned.


1 comment:

Joost said...

Dear Fibril_late,

I wanted to let you know that we published a list of Top Nurse Blogs on our website (at https://blog.nurserecruiter.com/top-nurse-blogs/ ), and that we were very happy to include “The Underside of Nursing” as well. :-)

It was an easy choice! I've now seen maybe 150 nurse blogs, and there is literally just one like this, framing the wry observations of a nurse's life in the form of rhyme and poetry. Take this post for example - that last stanza is great: evocative yet to the point.

We have organized our nurse blogs list in several categories, listing your blog in the main category, “Nurses who blog about health and nursing”. But if you think it would be better listed in one of the other categories, feel free to let us know. Of course, if you know any other blog you feel should be in our list that is still missing, we’d be eager to hear about that too.

We know blogging can sometimes be a bit of a lonely endeavor, and we hope we can do our bit to provide a little encouragement. Paying respect to ye olde traditions of blogging history, we even created a Top Nurse Blogs award. Not really sure this is the kind of thing that would appeal to you, but of course you should feel free to add this badge to your blog and link it back to our nurse blogs list. You will find it at the top of the list – just click on the award to get a full-size image file. (We have a transparent/PNG version we could email over as well.)

If you have any questions or you’d like to share any news or info, just drop me an email at joost AT nurserecruiter.com.