Sunday, January 07, 2018

It's a New Year Editorial


Something new under the sun! Ok, I know, we're probably behind the times a bit, but the usual suspects have been bitten by the "Unit Practice Committee" bug. After all, we belong to a big healthcare entity that wants to be a highly recognized player on a national level, and by golly, let's pretend that we care about the professionalism of our Nurses. And with our big BRAND advertising expense account, apparently they’re willing to pay overtime for industrious nurses, to join a committee and try to make changes. Of course, we will always implement  evidence-based-care and all the ideas we come up with, will be facilitated, acquisitioned, elucidated  and so on.
But seriously folks, there were two prime targets for runnin’ this thing, and #1 said “no” and pointed at #2………….ya, that’s me. Well, I figured what the heck, as long as #1 agrees to be my sidekick.

See, I do have a streak of idealism in me; there are a few things I that believe should be standards of practice in the unit that I work in. We look like an ordinary same-day-procedure unit, but we’re doing preparation and recoveries on highly complex patients, mostly Cardiac. Only half of our staff seem aware of that, but all of those future applicants, must understand the lay of the land when they arrive.

Well, I guess some folks think I have some leadership traits, and I talk like I know a couple things, so I been appointed and anointed as the committee Boss. There it is; in the autumn days of my career, I will pull the sword out of the stone, and look for a suitable target to aim that pointy thing at. Watch out!

2 comments:

Oldfoolrn said...

Welcome back! As retirement approaches you can be more aggressive with the corporate office sitters. Go for it!

Fibril_late said...

Zactly! After all, what they gonna do, fire me?