Monday, July 11, 2016

Old Job


Four months have passed since switching the job and the hospital; I needed that much time to cool off. However, I had made it known when I left, that I might be available in the future to work some extra hours, if requested. A week ago I worked an extra 10-hour shift, and as Yogi Berra said, "It's deja vu all over again". (http://yogiberramuseum.org/just-for-fun/yogisms/).

Yep, we got crushed after 5:30 PM, because 55% of the staff went home, leaving 3 of us to thrash about. Incidentally, when I arrived at 12:30, I took over the Cardioversion patient, where I needed to administer Ibutilide (his rhythm did not convert, so he still required a shock). Then, at 1430, the patient who had undergone V.Tach (epicardial) Ablation, general anesthesia with severe sleep apnea, had in-dwelling Arterial and 2 venous sheaths in his bilateral groins; arrived, barely arousable and exhibiting guppy-breathing. Twenty minutes later, he required STAT re-intubation, and immediate delivery to the CSICU!
Yep, we were off to the races.

I returned
To the scene of the crime,
To work a rescue shift
And earn an extra dime,
My old-world job
At the mother house, mister,
I felt like
The prodigal sister.

I established some ground rules
I will only work with Ell,
She can protect me
When the scene goes to hell,
In the usual fashion
Every day after five,
Only time would tell
If we got out alive.

A close call, it was
'Twas a ten hour flog,
I felt like I was beaten
With a crusty oak log,
And at the end of our tour
At twenty-three thirty,
The two of us felt
Pummeled and dirty.

This experience affirmed
Why I left the dollar store,
I need a low-stress venue
To complete my final chore,
Working for the family
An assistant supporting role,
Make it out of this alive
Preserving sanity and soul.


No comments: