Saturday, August 27, 2011

Why My Care is Better


Many people know this, but here is a reminder of how ridiculous health-care has become.

"Tying Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements to patient satisfaction was a component of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and will go into effect in October 2012."

That leaves us nurses with but one choice; time to start bribing our patients and families.

Better

I bribed my patient
To write a thank-you letter,
To describe my patient-care as great
Like yours, but mine is better.

But why, all the fuss
About these letters of thanks?,
Because these notes are like money
Into the hospital banks.

Don't call me cynical
When I know this is true,
Uncle Sam will pay us more
If patient-satisfaction grew,
Greater than our last tally
In the previous fiscal quarter,
Because these satisfaction quotients
Are the brick and the mortar,
Of the second-tier reimbursements
When private-insurance halts,
My patient's love me, baby
Because I bring them chocolate malts.

I pose to them a question
“If you could have anything tonight,
What is your desire
Just name it, in lights”
Because I have the power
To the kingdom, (and the keys),
To make your night easier
And surely, everyone agrees,
That a happy, satisfied patient
Writes the best, post-hospital letter,
And although, your care is good
That's why mine is better.

Fibril_late;
8/26/11

No comments: