Monday, April 08, 2019

Personal Space in the Community Place


The President of the hospital where I most recently worked, is very much a touchy-feely kind of guy. It's probably a cultural thing, or maybe some psychological personal space nonsense, but he makes a habit of reaching out & touching, without permission. One time, I was concentrating on a computer screen (charting); he came up behind me and placed his hand on my shoulder without warning. I was startled and spun around, only to find his leering face, asking me, how I was, and could he do anything for me. "Ya dude, keep yer paws offa me, Ok?"


Hug & Touch


What's up with those people
Who feel they need to hug and touch,
With complete strangers
They don't know very much.


And maybe they want
To look me straight in the eye,
And other things
I wish they wouldn't try,
If you engage my eyes
You don't know what I'm thinking,
Are you a body language reader?
What's it mean if I'm blinking.


If I cross my arms on my chest
Is it a sign of strength or fear,
Whatever it is
I don't need you near,
If your circle of influence
Crosses my personal space,
You’re way too close to me
If I feel your breath on my face,


If you want to touch my shoulder
My arm or my hand,
You better ask for permission
Why don't you understand?,
Don't sneak up behind me
And put your hand on my shoulder,
There's no telling how I'll react
And as such, you might not grow older.


4/8/19

No comments: