Sunday, February 24, 2019

PTSD


Many nurses do report they have work nightmares, or what I call, Hospital Dreams. Invariably, mine would usually highlight a situation where it would be near the end of my shift, when I become aware that I have a patient that I have not visited during the entire night.

There were other really scary themes; for example, uncontrollable bleeding. Those are factually PTSD, from numerous real-time situations I took part in, working in the areas I spent most of my career in.

Anyway, last night I had two hospital dreams; surely inspired from real history.

Two hospital dreams
In one retirement night,
The usual thing;
Too busy, and making something right.

The first dream:
I was called back to work
To document a Death,
No neuro-responses
No heart beat or breath,
But when I looked under the covers
I discovered a central line,
Sure, there might be a reason
Still secured with some twine.

Although my wisdom is limited
My foolishness knows no bounds,
When I loosened that silly string
There were immediate whistling sounds,
Then some yucky liquid slime
Did gush from that central IV,
On the bedclothes and onto the floor
And a plentiful bit upon me.

Luckily, the clerk at the desk
Had stepped out for moment or two,
I grabbed a clean sheet for mopping the mess
Then shrouded the body, to hide any goo,
I looked for a camera, and found one above me
Thankfully pointing away,
When the Attendant returned, I submitted my notes
And cheerfully announced; Good Day!

Dream second:
I was working in that recent place
Though it looked like an ICU,
There were 38 patients to process
Our staffing was FUBAR too,
One of the patient's required 3 nurses
While over my way, a respiratory arrest,
Thank goodness I thought, K.D. is here
When the worst day happens; we're saved by the Best.
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ _

If you know K.D............you know what I'm talking about; she always saves the day!

No comments: