Tuesday, December 04, 2018

A Waste of Energy


As a Charge Nurse, I don't prognosticate. I don't call the ER to see if they are expecting to send us people; I don't harass the Nurse Supervisor, to see if we are getting any possible patients. What I do, is keep an eye on my show, keep apprised of what all our patient's need, or what the next two hours of care might look like, and I try to make sure, that patients get out exactly, at their appointed time. That's what drives patient satisfaction.

This poem is about my philosophy in life, and at this chosen career:

Planning

Things that I plan
They rarely turn out,
Whereas, things that I don't plan
Get a high-five and shout,
Because I reserve a place for
Change and spontaneity,
Unconventional outcomes?
I'm filled with gaiety.

Henceforth, I don't plan much
In fact, it produces anxiety,
I want to run to a waterway
To practice silence and piety,
I don't need that type of stress
I'm just a momentary guy, 
Right now, I'll do this thing
And when I do it, you'll know why.

When big decisions come
I gather knowledge and ponder,
Consider multiple outcomes
That could occur down yonder,
But, don't presume that is planning
I'm just collecting information,
Until I whip out the knives
And delare: Captivation!

I work with all kinds of planners
They are good at what they do, 
I know it isn't me
But it just might be you,
I admire the energy
You throw at all situations,
I'm happy to stand to the side
While you collect your ovations.

I don't want any part of that
Yet, we share the same desire,
To reach the end of the road
Without pain or funeral pyres,
And I believe we can achieve that
In our own unique ways,
How about, I take the nights
And you take the days.


2 comments:

Oldfoolrn said...

Planning gives people a false sense of control and appeals to anal retentive administrative types that fail to realize life goes on regardless of plans. For me, the best course of action was to enjoy the ride and worry about the here and now.

Fibril_late said...

Exactly$