Sunday, October 28, 2018

Can't Remember


I was talking with one of those young nurses of the day, bright as an atomic bomb, and probably the type I'd want on hand if I was in the ICU. She noticed I kept a small note/list on my phone that covered some of the common IV drip mixes and calculations, and it prompted a discussion of this thing.

Hence, I wrote this:

It's the middle of the night
And you can't remember,
The drip calculation
You learned last September,
And it's really important
Because you're at the Code Blue,
It seems like everyone is staring
And waiting for you.

You reach for your phone
It's in one of your pockets,
In your deluxe cargo pants
That hold 42 sockets,
When you suddenly realize
The smartphone is gone,
When you were rushing to work
It fell on the lawn.

Joe Bob the victim gasps
"You can use mine",
Look up Cardiac Arrest
Dial 249,
Ask for Betty Lou Johnson
Also known as my wife,
First ask her opinion
If you should save my life.

The moral of the story?
Keep your tools close at hand,
Know those drug concentrations
For those moments on demand,
When you're on the spot
And Joe is circling the drain,
In those crazy, clutch moments
You gotta trust your old brain.

No comments: