Monday, September 24, 2018

Many Nights Like This


There were many shifts like this, repeated over and again..........any nurse who has worked at the bedside, can attest to the most irritating of all things; the relentless demanding patient.

99 Requests

After 99 requests
In the course of twelve hours,
You have thoroughly diminished
All of my powers,
Just saying, if you suffer
A cardiac arrest,
I can not guarantee
The outcome will be the best.

Your water requisition
Ten times, just like this,
No more than five ounces
On the hour, don't miss,
Because I am your patient
And you are my slave,
Each time I pass the room
She gives a beckoning wave.

I offered the four P's
But it really seemed like twenty,
Pain, potty, and position
And many more a'plenty,
And of course I offered AIDET
(I've had it shoved down my throat).
Management loves that crap
It certainly fills up their boat.

At the end of my shift
I’m supposed to say, Thanks,
For allowing me to serve you
(The worst of old cranks),
No, instead I have pity
For your family and friends,
You treat them just as poorly
And never make amends.

No comments: