Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Emesis Emeritus


Had a patient a couple days ago, for an Ablation recovery. She was totally schnockered for about 2 hours, and then for the next two hours, she complained of being dizzy and nauseated. The probable cause? Age of 75, weight 57 kg, and was given, Midazolam 10mg and Fentanyl 150mcg.
She eventually told me she was previously dizzy 3 days after having a Colonoscopy.

After 2 rounds of Zofran, and 3 empty emesii, along with moaning and whimpering, "what will I do at home if I can't eat for 3 days", I called her physician. Doctor says, let's keep her overnight in hospital. I return to the room, tell the patient (currently in fetal position in the bed, grimacing and fussing) the "stay-overnight" news...............where suddenly she sits up and with a straight face states, "Why did the Doctor order that? Why do I need to stay? I'm feeling better now".

I replied, "Good Lord, you are the one who has been slinging the story of 3 day nausea, misery and not eating! No way am I letting you out of this!"

A few minutes later, after Betty Lou goes to the restroom, she returns and immediately vomits.

Thus concludes the looney-tune story of the day.

No comments: