Friday, June 24, 2016

Total Rewards


There I was today, perusing the company website portal, trying to get a look at my paycheck (browser not supported from home) and pondered the terminology my organization uses to descibe the sum-total of programs covering pay, pension, retirement, insurance and so on. Our naming is, "Total Rewards". Quite naturally  I began to ponder, wander and wonder on this whole thing.

Where I work
Payroll is listed on the Company Internet home page
Under the menu "Total Rewards",
According to the dictionary, this is defined as:
Noun - "a thing given in recognition of one's service, effort, or achievement"
Verb - "make a gift of something to (someone) in recognition of their services, efforts, or achievements";
But really, how does that apply to the worker-ant hordes,
The ones that slave on day after day
Because this is just a job,
Which could be performed by just about eveyone
Even Billy-Joe, the dumpster slob.

Are we all being compensated
In the usual hourly way?
Or truly being rewarded
As the homepage, suggests, to say,
That a properly emptied waste basket
Is equivalent to saving a life,
While some might say, if I don't do it at home
I will catch Hell, from my stay-at-home wife.

Total Rewards in summation
Looks at all of every things,
Unless you work as Per-Diem
Not tied to the apron strings.

No comments: