Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How many shifts in the past week where I have not had time, nor have there been enough staff on hand, to have breaks at work? I talked to a family member of a patient one night, who couldn't quite understand, how a nurse could be so busy, as to not have time for a break. She said something to the effect, that break-time was "mandated" in California, so of course, we must certainly always have time for a dinner-break. I think I finally got through to her, that an unstable patient, might trump my need for a food break, if there were no other nurse available to fill in.

Well anyway, this job is horribly stressful at times, despite my training in spiritual enlightenment practices and black magic.

No Immunity


Encountering another ridiculous
PTSD opportunity,
I'm once again reminded
I have no professional immunity,
To protect me from experiencing
Overloaded situations,
Despite my secret talismans
And psychic affirmations.

Like a passenger in a canoe
In some Class-5, crazy water,
Some nights at work I feel the same
As a lamb led to the slaughter.

Fibril_late;
11/24/2010

1 comment:

K. Tree said...

Yes. I've often said if I strung all my missed breaks together, I'd be able to take a two week, paid vacation every year.