Friday, August 01, 2008

Nurses: Day in and day out, we become intimately involved in the lives of humanity (and inhumanity, I'm sorry to say). There is a story to tell around every corner.

My job is to write about it. Catharsis, might be a better description of why I do it. I have to change the names of the players, alter locations and bend the facts, primarily to get the point across more poignantly, and more often, to keep from getting shot at. I only get slapped around on a rare occasion.

Curry & Dal

You might think it’s not true
All the stuff that I write,
Well, I admit I take liberty
When it’s my time to bite,
Because a story reads better
With a passion and fury,
Like a hot spicy dal
In your favorite curry.

I pick simple ingredients
For the stories I tell,
Chosen from factories
Between Heaven and Hell,
Having walked that long road
During my current vocation,
If you've taken that journey
You'll believe my oration.

Sure, I stretch the truth
To lengthen the telling,
You can't knock me for that
And rarely my spelling,
And I use the best synonyms
To color the tale,
Delectable details
So the story won't fail.

I caution, don't take offense
It's not about you,
You might think you identify
But it's really my view,
Perhaps looking you over
And distorting the facts,
If you accuse me for libel
I'll be sharpening my axe.

It's my way of venting
Frustration and pain,
Instead of target-practice
Aimed at my brain,
And although that sounds harsh
I don't trifle with death,
I take counsel for misery
From Lady Macbeth.

Like Mulder and Scully
I'm searching for truth,
Pursuing dirty details
In my career as a sleuth,
Then telling my story
About that 12-hour night,
If I do it correctly;
My narration will ignite!

Fibril_late;
8/1/08

No comments: