Sunday, October 21, 2007

Once in a while, in our CCU, we would have in our care someone who would be waiting for a heart transplant. That person would be high on the waiting list to receive a donor heart, perhaps "hoping" for some unfortunate motor vehicle accident victim to visit our Emergency Room.

No Longer at the Top

It's lonely here
No longer at the top,
As my cardiac function
Grinds to a stop.

I'm just waiting and waiting
For a suitable donor,
It's a serious commitment
I need a permanent loaner,
But someone must die
So I can survive,
Each day I deteriorate
Wondering when they'll arrive.

As the days turn to weeks
And the weeks into months
My room starts to feel like a jail,
My veins are sclerosed
I'm catecholamine dosed
And my kidneys are starting to fail.

My future is grim
But I'm not without hope,
I'm becoming an expert
At trying to cope,
And I'm thankful the nurses
And doctor's are trying,
Their utmost endeavors
To keep me from dying.

Fibril_late; 1998

No comments: