Monday, January 08, 2007

It was the early mid-1990's here in our capitol city; almost every hospital in town was reorganizing into some kind of "it's the best way to save money", business model. Well, we all know what a total flop that was and the entire health-care industry is still reeling from the long-term complications of that debacle. Can you say "nursing shortage"? They left in droves, never to return; thanks to the Cost Cutting Days of Our Lord.


The Cost Cutting Days of Our Lord

Health-care downsizing?; you have to be kidding
That’s the typical political flash,
It’s a high stakes game of money, my friend
With the HMO’s grabbing the cash.

My unit was closed last week
I was angry because I wasn’t told,
I’d been a productive slave
Now suddenly I’ve been sold.

There is little threat of losing my job
I’ve been here forever and more,
They’ll redefine my job description
Then send me to some other floor.

With my accumulated years of seniority
I’ll displace someone else on the heap,
When that guy loses his job
I won’t be able to sleep.

The wages are frozen, positions unfilled
In contrast, the workload has soared,
Top CEO’s, whose salaries are doubling
In the cost cutting days of our Lord.

Fibril_late; 5/95

No comments: