Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm pointing the finger of blame in many directions, against any of us, who choose the work setting as the place to make our cultural stand. What do I mean by this?

Here in the United States, English is the language of communication in the health-care arena. If you and your cohorts, think the office/clinic/hospital is the perfect setting for your special cultural clique, excluding those around you by speaking in your home language, I've got a hint for you; save it for the weekend parties at Uncle Festers house, ok?

Sure, cultural diversity helped you get the job; but the intent of the writ, is that people of many cultures can work together, and to do so, it helps that they speak in the common language, while they are together in their place of work.

Enough of explanations; I've got the NYC Blues!

NYC Blues

I know what you're thinking
Or I suspect that I might,
When you look at that title
You want to put up a fight,
And defend your dear village
But I beg you to wait,
It's about New York city
But the title is bait.

Someone told me a story
Based on rumor and hearsay,
Supplied hints of nepotism
Power struggles, unfair play,
Out in the corn patch
Of the furrowed nursing field,
It would be easy to discount
Until my conscience appealed.

Because I am a nurse
And I've been there too,
Amidst the culture of our kind
There are small minds in view,
Hanging out with their brethren
Speaking a language of their own,
An isolation foundation
Built stone by stone.

In position's of power
They will gather their forces,
While speaking in tongues
And crapping like horses,
Then you better know your brother
Or you'll step in their shit,
And the NYC gestapo
Will force you to quit.

Before I go further
I'll quit while I'm ahead,
Secret NYC agents
Just might want me dead,
And in the past 20 years
I've paid many dues,
But there's nothing quite like
The Not Your Culture Blues.

Fibril_late; 1/07

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your vocation is healing as so well stated in nyc blues. The culprit is at Columbia-Presbyterian's toxic nursing environment. Thanks for a place to say this. nurse63